I think I’ve learned something interesting in the last few months while writing for Bucks County Taste . “Local” means different things to different people.
We all tend to get very comfortable living within a pretty narrow geographical area. Grocery store, school, work, family, friends, a few local restaurants we go to over and over again. Mark and I are not much of an exception. We live in Central Bucks, and when we’re tired after a long day, we tend to stay close to home – sometimes no further than our backyard.
But we’ve learned in our exploring that there is A LOT going on in other parts of Bucks County. And now is the best time of year to get off your you-know-what and get out there. Go to Lower Bucks, go to Upper Bucks, or even just go into Doylestown, for heaven’s sake.
This weekend is a perfect example. A brand new farmers’ market, the Linden Hill Farmer’s Market, is opening up in Ottsville on Route 611 this Friday. And wait till you see the line-up of vendors (see our post below). That’s not all. Do you know that a totally organic, small batch, locally-sourced ice creamery called Owow Cow Creamery has just opened, also up in Ottsville, right at Routes 412 & 563 (near Nockamixon State Park)? And Perkasie Olde Towne is hosting its Hot Ribs, Cool Music Festival on Saturday. Weather forecast: Sunny and in the upper 70′s. Perfect rib-eating, ice cream-licking weather.
Here’s the run-down – or should I say, “fun-down” (ouch) for the weekend. Check out our online calendar, Food Events in Bucks County for more details.
Friday, May 29th:
• Linden Hill Farmers’ Market, 3:30 – 7:30 pm, Ottsville.
• Wine Concert Series at Shady Brook Farm, 6 – 9 pm, Yardley. Weather permitting. Free admission. Little Big Thing will be the musical entertainment.
• Wines of Australia and New Zealand: From affordable to collectible, 7 – 8:30 pm, Carlow Cookery, Doylestown.
Saturday, May 30th:
• Doylestown Farmers’ Market, 7 am – Noon, Doylestown
• Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, 9 am – 1 pm, Wrightstown.
• Quaker Heritage Day – Quakers, Pies & Bicycles, 10 am – 2 pm, Solebury Meetinghouse, New Hope.
• Hot Ribs, Cool Music in Perkasie Olde Towne, 10 am – 5 pm, Perkasie. Rib Cooking starts at 7 am, competition and sampling starts around 12!
• Beef & Beer at Stockton Fire Company, 4 – 7 pm, Stockton.
Sunday, May 31th:
• Breakfast at Haycock Fire Company, 8 am – 12 pm, Haycock.
• Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, 9 am – 1 pm, Hellertown.
• Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, 9 am – 1 pm, Flemington.
• 2nd Annual Bucks County Chocolate Show, 10 am – 4 pm, New Hope (see post below).
• Sunday Funday: Strawberry Festival, Shady Brook Farm, Noon – 4 pm, Yardley
• 2009 Bucks County Wine Tour, 12 – 5 pm, Bucks County.
• Charity Barbecue at Kids Castle Park, 1 – 3 pm, Doylestown.
• Wine Tasting, Cheese & Chocolate Fundraiser for Kehilat HaNahar, 6 – 8:30 pm, Chaddsford Winery Tasting Room, Peddler’s Village, Lahaska.
• CB Cares 2nd Annual Celebrity Chef & Waiter Gala 2009, 6 – 10 pm, Doylestown Country Club, Doylestown.
Don’t forget to check our online calendar, Food Events in Bucks County regularly for great stuff happening. Have a wonderful weekend!